Victory Cycle Works
2016-2017 Classes and Programs start
The first week in October!!
What is a CompuTrainer?
Simply put, a CompuTrainer is the single best training tool to increase power, efficiency, and endurance for racers and recreational cyclists for over the last 20 years. Although it may look similar to the squirrel fan relic you have been slogging on the miles in your basement, a CompuTrainer has capabilities no other stationary trainer can offer. Software driven, CompuTrainers are capable of providing accurate and relevant data every single second you train on one. Resistance is automaticaly adjusted based on your terrain or intensity and can provide over 1500 watts worth of effective resistance depending on the terrain or intensity of your course. Unique analytical tools report your effort and can be used to derive a training program specifically tailored for you. A licenced USAC coach will teach each class. It does not matter if you are a Pro racer or a Weekend Warrior, CompuTrainer sessions at Victory Cycle Works will make you an efficient, more powerful cyclist.
PROGRAMS AND CLASSES
Power, Endurance, and Efficiency Program -- $165.00
6 week sessions. Once a week ride for 90-120 minutes. Functional Threshold Power testing done week 1 and again on week 6 included in the program. Intensity based workouts and a variety of terrain based courses designed to increase overall threshold power while improving your endurance. Pedal efficiency and cycling technique a major focus of this program. Each rider will also get a free Training Peaks account through the studio where your ride data week to week will be available for analysis. If you have your own Training Peaks account all ride data can be imported into your own account. Designed for all types and levels of cyclists. Class times vary throughout the week but are predominately evening classes during the week and morning and early afternoon on Saturday.
Power training is the most accurate and controlled means in which to improve your power, endurance and efficiency. Classes are created and run by a licensed USAC coach and follow many of the training models set forth by Hunter Allen and Joe Friel.
Build on your base! Must sign up for the first 6 week Power, Endurance, and Efficiency Program session in September to qualify for the 24 week or 12 week session, or you can sign up in January to qualify for the last 12 week periodization session.
What is Periodization?
Periodization is the process of dividing your training year into specific periods. We offer 2 or 4 periods during the course of the indoor training season. Each period builds on the skills and performance gains of the previous session completed.
Periodization Program Schedule
12 weeks September-December with 3 Threshold Tests …$300.00
12 weeks January-March with 3 Threshold Tests ………$300.00
24 weeks September-March with 5 Threshold Tests …..$540.00
The Fifth Session -------------------------- $30.00 per ride
or 5 rides for $125.00
Beginning in March 2017 this session is designed to enhance your training accomplished during the winter or allow riders to pre-ride race courses for road and triathlon. You do not have to sign up for any sessions prior to qualify, so if you have your own training program but would like to ride any course anywhere in the world this is it! If there is a GPS track of the course you are interested in riding, we can create it for you. We already have hundreds of courses in our data base, from the Battenkill to Kona, the Col du Tourmalet to Placid. Class sign up will be available starting in January 2017. It will run 5 weeks from March 27th through April 29th.
Functional Threshold Power Testing — $75.00
By appointment only. 30 minute warm up with endurance riding, sprint paced intervals, brief max effort interval, ending with endurance riding. This is followed by a 20 minute time trial with a moderate start building through the course of the time trial to end with an all out max effort. This test is designed to determine the maximum sustained effort or force in watts you can output during a one hour time period. Total time is for session is up to 2 hours including orientation, set-up, testing, and report overview. The report will include body metrics and a zone chart for power and heart rate.
Anytime Rides —————— $35.00 per ride
or 5 rides for $150.00
Want to do a group ride inside? No Functional Threshold Power testing required. 90-120 minute rides. Real terrain based and HD Multi Rider courses available. Scheduling based on availability. Open format, rides and length determined at class time. Fun, but focused. Want to race friends, put in the ear buds and go, or learn a thing or two from your session coach. No problem! Sign ups for this class will depend on availability.
Can I try before I buy?
Absolutely! If you have never experienced what a CompuTrainer can provide for you at our studio, you can try a class for FREE!! All you have to do is register and sign up for one of our free ride classes. Free rides are usually available during the first 6 week session from September through early November.
What do I need to bring for CompuTrainer Classes?
Your own bike, preferrably a road bike, or a bike with smooth tires. (trainer specific tires for road bikes are available). A trainer skewer if you have one and if you don’t we have them available for purchase. You should bring all of your regular cycling gear, except your helmet. You need to have enough water to sustain up to a 2+ hour cycling effort or two water bottles minimum. If you need nutrition we have a variety of energy options and water, but you should come prepared with what you like. Other items to bring are a towel, chamois cream, tissues, and an enthusiastic attitude.
ARRIVE AT LEAST 30 MINUTES BEFORE YOUR CLASS UNLESS YOU HAVE LEFT YOUR BIKE AT THE STUDIO THE WEEK PRIOR. IF YOUR BIKE IS STORED HERE YOU MAY ARRIVE 15 MINUTES BEFORE YOUR SESSION BEGINS. IT TAKES TIME TO GET YOUR BIKE READY ON THE TRAINER FOR A RIDE SO PLEASE ARRIVE WELL IN ADVANCE OF YOUR START TIME. STRETCHING LIGHTLY BEFORE AND EXTENSIVE AFTER YOUR RIDE IS CRITICAL TO MITIGATE INJURY, SO PLAN TO ARRIVE WITH ENOUGH TIME TO ACCOMODATE. RIDES BEGIN AT DESIGNATED START TIMES PROMPTLY. IF YOU ARRIVE LATE, YOUR DATA WILL NOT BE RECORDED FOR THAT SESSION.
NEED MORE INFORMATION? CONTACT US HERE!!
How is "CompuTraining" different than Spin Classes?
- CompuTrainer sessions are based on real courses and all of your metrics are displayed live as you ride. No other system gives you as much accuracy of information like a CompuTrainer - Spin classes are based on imaginary courses set to music and your data is displayed in heart rate only while giving a perceived level of effort.
- CompuTrainers give you an effective workout that builds power and improves your speed in outdoor cycling because you are riding your own bike, with your own shoes and pedals, and training your muscles to fire in specific ways they will remember when you ride outside - Spin classes are fun for cardio or recovery workouts but do not build power or increase speed on your real bike as effectively as training on your own bike. In addition, spin bikes are not designed for real road bike positions, as much as you would like to believe you can "set them up" like your own bike, your position relative to the pedaling circle is much more important than leg and arm extension and that is nearly impossible on most spin bikes.
- CompuTrainers automatically adjust resistance based on either terrain grade changes just like riding outside, or to acheive a set level of intensity based on your aerobic threshold values. This will allow you to train at the right cadence and allow you to deliver the most efficient energy to each turn of the crank. Spin bikes often time have a knob to adjust a brake on a flywheel to give you different level of resistance. Intensity is increased by pedaling faster or slower given the resistance which makes pedaling efficiency difficult to attain. Even if the spin bike does read power they are often inaccurate.
- CompuTrainer sessions are based on your own aerobic threshold, so every individual will be riding at their own structured and desired intensity which is displayed and monitored by the software. You cannot hide from the numbers and therefore each session will train you to perform at the proper intensity and perform within the parameters of your program - Spin classes have no way to monitor your intensity other than your heart rate and the excitement and encouragement of the spin instructor, but ultimately, your true quality of effort is virtually unknown.
- CompuTrainer classes are small, focusing attention on each individual with an emphasis on technique and efficiency working in conjunction with a focus on widening your base and then increasing your levels of endurance and intensity by following a specific program with the proper amount of time to let your body systems recover. Spin classes have large class sizes, and it is easy to "hide" from your true potential and allow you to "perceive" you have worked hard. Going out and "killin it" IS working hard, but finding a balance between intensity and recovery is the real hard work. Without any ability to see how you are performing or progressing, how do you know you really are? Cycling is an endurance sport, and the really intense calorie burning workouts spin classes offer will not allow you to truly increase your power and endurance when you ride outside. These high efforts can potentially cause chronic injuries forcing longer recovery times and reduce your overall ability to improve. Training hard is necessary in order to improve but the recovery is what is most important. CompuTrainer classes will train you at exactly the right intensity for a given duration and allow you to recover properly before the next effort.
Ultimately, Spin classes and CompuTrainer sessions both are designed to give you the ability to workout when the weather is inclement or there is not enough time in the day due to the amount of daylight or your own schedule to be able to get outside and ride. Spin classes are great cardio workouts and for most who train here a combination of spin and our studio is the best way to get in the proper training during the winter months. Our CompuTrainer Studio was created specifically for cyclists looking to get the absolute most out of each minute spent on their bike. With the packages and programs we offer, a cyclist at any level can see truly measurable progress at whatever level you choose to aspire to.